Allow chickpeas to be the star of the show in a fragrant, tea-infused sauce. Serve with warm naan breads and a spoonful of cooling vegan yoghurt and try pairing with this pretty, vibrant ribbon salad.
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 300ml black tea
- Generous pinch of sea salt flakes
- Handful of coriander leaves, roughly torn
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tbsp unsweetened soya yoghurt
- Ribbon Salad
- 2 red onions, peeled, finely sliced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and shaved into ribbons
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and finely sliced
- Generous handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 unwaxed lime
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
Pour 300ml of boiling water over a black teabag and leave to infuse. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium–high heat and cook the onions for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
Add the garlic, garam masala, ground turmeric, chilli flakes, and cumin seeds, then cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove the teabag and pour in the infused tea, the chopped tomatoes and chickpeas then cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and season with sea salt flakes.
Scatter over the coriander leaves and squeeze over the lemon juice. Serve in bowls and spoon over 1 tablespoon of yoghurt on each.
Place the red onions in a heatproof bowl and pour over enough boiling water to cover. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to take away the acidity of the onions. In the meantime, toss together the carrots and mango.
Drain away the water from the red onions, then rinse in cold water and pat dry. Toss the onions with the carrots and mango. Stir through the parsley and lime juice. Season well with sea salt flakes.
15 Minute Vegan: On a Budget by Katy Beskow, Quadrille, £15. Photo: Dan Jones.