We all know that avocado on toast is one of the most popular breakfasts – it’s been around for some years now – but adding a layer of hummus and spiking it with some chilli will turn it up a notch. Enjoy!
- 2 large slices wholemeal or brown sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 ripe avocado
- 80g cherry tomatoes, thickly sliced
- 4 pickled chillies or peppadew peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced
- A small handful of basil leaves
- ½ lime
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Togarashi or dried chilli flakes, to sprinkle (optional)
Toast the sourdough bread and spread thickly with the hummus.
Halve the avocado, remove the stone and gently loosen the skin away from the flesh, using a large spoon. Thinly slice each avocado half, gently flatten with the palm of your hand and lift onto the toast.
Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with the cherry tomatoes, pickled chillies, red chilli and basil leaves.
Squeeze over the juice from the lime half and serve at once, sprinkled with a little togarashi or chilli flakes if you like.
Avocados are loaded with heart-healthy fats. Don’t be afraid of eating fats when you’re on a diet, they help you feel full. Just limit your intake – of saturated fats in particular – and try to avoid fatty processed foods.
Extract taken from Lose Weight and Get Fit by Tom Kerridge (£22, Bloomsbury). Photography © Cristian Barnett